Thursday, September 29, 2016

Fall Flavours

Mathew Van Noten
Fall Flavours

It's destined to come each year
We know it all to well
Looking out the window watching the dancing deer
Fall is upon us, you can tell by the smell

The leaves are changing and so is the weather
Time to put on a thick sweater
To stand the cold better
And be a trend setter

The leaves are flying off the trees
Let your sadness ease
Feel the brisk breeze
Make sure you don’t freeze

It’s the season of books
Great for those who read
Check all the nooks
For hats, you might need

All the fall flavours
I’ve come to love
The Jack O'Lantern is my saviour
Let's make some memories to be proud of



This poem was inspired by Gord Downie’s rhyming style and his passion for his homeland. Gord Downie often has different Rhyming patterns, similar to this poem which contributes to the unique melodic sound that the Hip are known for producing. When thinking of things I took from Gourd’s music, I found that the biggest thing Gourd did that was inspiring to me was, writing about his homeland and showing sincere appreciation towards his country through his lyrics. This inspired me to write about my experiences with Canadian Fall seasons because we are entering the fall months and what better time to write about the joys of fall.

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely love, love, love the dancing deer reference. The deer happens to be my favourite woodland creature and that line really hit home for me. I love how literal your poem is, for example, "The leaves are changing and so is the weather Time to put on a thick sweater"; that is literally what one does during fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem is amazing! It has so much imagery especially when you said "The leaves are changing and so is the weather, time to put on a thick sweater." I really liked how you wrote about the fall months and used words such as brisk and saviour. I noticed that you spelled "Gord" wrong in some sentences and maybe you check the spelling next time. Other then those little spelling errors, it was an amazing poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought this poem was a very cool choice mat! I wonder if there are any deeper meanings in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this poem was a very cool choice mat! I wonder if there are any deeper meanings in this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Guys! I'll be sure to implement these great suggestion in my next poem

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Guys! I'll be sure to implement these great suggestion in my next poem

    ReplyDelete
  7. very nice poem, it was quite exquisite :):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete